|Name||:||Ms. Janet Lawrence Dsouza|
|Res. Address||:||D-103, Royal Classic,
Near D. Mart,Mulund (W),
Mumbai – 400 080.
|Office Phone No.||:||022-25171981, 022-25172826|
|Res. Phone No.||:||022-25692498|
|Educational||:||B.Com, M.A, B.Ed|
|Occupation||:||Principal & Trustee of Little Flower English High
School & Smt. Celine Dsilva Jr. College of Commerce
Ghadge Maharaj Colony,
Ghatkopar, (W) Mumbai 400086.
|Position in the party||:||Member– All India Congress Committee (I)
Director of Moulana Azad Minorities
Member of Education Committee
Smt. Janet D’Souza President of Mumbai Mahila Regional Congress Committee & Member of AICC is daughter of Smt. Celine D’silva who was Ex Minister of State in Government of Maharashtra in the year 1985 and M L C till 1998. Coming from a Political Family she completed her Education in Mumbai. After completing B.Com decided to join B.Ed and on completion worked as teacher in Little Flower English School founded by her mother Smt. Celine D’silva and currently she is the Principal of the same School. Married to Mr. Lawrence (Ronny) D’souza, Vice President of Bombay Catholic Sabha & National Secretary of All India Catholic Union. Daughter Dr. Vinita D’Souza, B.D.S and now pursuing M. D. S at Mangalore and Son Ryan a final year Engineering Student at Institute of Chemical Technology ( U D C T) Mumbai.
After the demise of Smt Celine D’silva in December 2000 there was a void felt by the congress workers of the constituency and they approached Janet to join active politics and beginning of a new chapter in her life. In the year 2001 started on grass root level Vice President, Block 76. In the year 2003, then MRCC President, Shri Gurudas Kamat MP & Ex Union Minister, appointed her as Joint Secretary of the prestigious Mumbai Regional Congress Committee. In the year 2005 promoted as General Secretary of the M R C C and in 2006 handpicked by Smt. Sonia Gandhi as the President of Mumbai Mahila Congress. Nominated to Education Committee member of BMC in same year. In 2008 she was appointed as Director of Maulana Azad Minorities Development Financial Corporation (Govt. of Maharashra). She is the first Christian to be given representation on the Board as a result many beneficiaries from the Christian Community have secured Financial Assistance for Education as well as for small scale Business.
In the year 2009 was given nomination to contest the Assembly Election from Ghatkopar (W), Lost the Election due to caste polarization. Lately appointed as Central Observer for 18 Assembly segments of Karnataka in Bangalore North and Bangalore Central Parliamentary Constituencies. Also renominated as Education Committee Member of the BMC on 9th March 2012.
Worked closely with Her Excellency Smt. Margeret Alva who is her role model and Mentor. Also worked with Smt. Rita Bahuguna Joshi, Dr. Girija Vyas and many leaders of the AICC.
- Daughter of late Smt. Celine Dsilva, Ex Minister Government of Maharashtra.
- Started work on Block level with appointment as Vice President of Block no. 76 in the year 2001 and also worked as Gen. Secretary of Kurla Taluka Mahila Congress in 2002.
- Appointed as Jt. Secretary of Mumbai Regional Congress Committee in September 2003 to 2006.
- Appointed as Gen. Secretary of Mumbai Regional Congress Committee in 2005 till present.
- Appointed as President of Mumbai Regional Mahila Congress Committee in 2006 to 2014.
- Major issues like female infanticide, dowry, rapes sexual harassment at work place taken up as Mumbai Mahila President. Also was effective in training various Self Help Groups in different parts of Mumbai.
- As Director Maulana Azad Minorities Financial Corporation, helped minorities in securing financial assistance and specialy education loan for students. Arranged number of awareness programs in places like Mumbai, Nashik, Nagpur, Aurangabad, Pune, Uran and Ahmednagar; as a result minorities benefitted.
- As member of the Education Committee of MCGM helped old schools get recognition which was delayed. Actively participated and was part of committee that visited schools.
- Womens Day International was used as a platform for honoring women achievers and also highlighting women issues.
- Also worked as Central observer in Goa Election 2007 and Karnataka Elections 2013.
- Contested Assembly Elections in Oct.2009 against Poonam Mahajan from Ghatkopar (West). Lost by a narrow margin to MNS.
- As Vice Chairperson of Maharashtra State Minorities Commission I have toured the districts of Maharashtra and helped minorities and institutions in solving issues such as burial places, land encroachments, permission for religious services, promoting schemes of Central & State Government for Minorities etc.
Visited and initiated action against miscreants targeting minority religious places & institutions.
- Have taken active part in protests against female foeticide, rape, dowry, sexual harassment at work place, domestic violence & other issues related to women and have solved numbers of cases related to the above. The perpetrators were punished and victims given justice.
- Domestic Workers registration for Insurance policies to the limit of 1.50 lakhs. Benefitted more than 1000 domestic workers in the slums.
- Formed N.G.O in memory of my mother Smt. Celine Dsilva and formed Self Help Groups registered under the N.G.O. with more than 80 Groups and having 800 women. Generated self Employment through products made by them. Exhibitions are arranged every year during Diwali for the sale of the products.
- As a member of the Expert Committee on National Commission for Women, surveyed women in Mumbai suffering from domestic violence and conducted Legal Awareness Seminars and Counselling for these Women.
- As Director of Moulana Azad Financial Development Corporation (Government of Maharashtra) sanctioned loans to the tune of 4 crores for Christian Minorities especially students & Women Entrepreneurs. Conducted Awareness Seminars throughout Maharashtra for success of these Loan schemes, as a result Christian Minorities were made aware and could benefit from Group Loans for self Employment and Professional Education.
- As a member of Education Committee of Brihan Mumbai Municipal Corporation helped Self Help Groups get contracts for midday meals in BMC Schools. Also helped Minority Institutions to get Recognition delayed for many years.
- As Vice Chairperson, Maharashtra State Minority Commission took up issues vociferously against attrocities on Minorities.
- Implementation of government schemes meant for minorities were carried out in all districts of Maharashtra. Delayed decisions on graveyards were expedited and sanctions were given to cemeteries in Navi Mumbai, Kolhapur Aurgangabad and Parbhani Districts.
- Permission to restore the Archeological Structure of the 400 year old St. John the Baptist Church, Thane was sanctioned with efforts from the Minority Commission with my help.
- Arranged meetings with the Hon. Chief Minister and other ministers for facilitation of problems faced by schools regarding Non-salary grant and other permissions etc.
- Received Awards for social work from Indian progressive Society, Police Department of Mumbai, Udaan Foundation, Ganesh Ustav Mandals & Lions Club International.
- Awarded by Christian Chamber of Commerce for Excellence in Social Work in September 2015 by the hands of His Excellency Shri Vidyasagar Rao. Governor of Maharashtra.